I was joking around with a friend the other day (we both work in social media) and we started exchanging stories that only other social media professionals would understand. We were laughing at things that average social media users will never have the torture of understanding. We giggled at the funny names people come up with for job titles.
But, not only was it fun, it got me thinking. And here you have today’s blog post: 25 signs you work in social media!
1. When people refer to you as an expert, guru, or ninja, you politely thank them and then correct them. If you’re a real social media professional, you do not claim to be any of these titles even though you’re secretly pleased that they called you that.
2. It’s totally acceptable to you that you’ve never met most of your friends IRL. And yet they know you better than a lot of your real life friends.
3. When someone says the word “algorithm” you instantly cringe. Thank you for that one Facebook.
4. You follow more brands on Facebook than you have friends. But you never see any of their posts…
5. You secretly judge anyone who follows less than a 100 people on any social media site. How is that possible?
6. It’s not about the numbers… But we check all of our numbers daily. Klout ranking, follower counts, site visits, post likes…
7. The notification alert has become a Pavolovian reaction. Must check it NOW. Clear the notifications!
8. You’ve downloaded more apps on your smartphone than your daily caloric intake amount. But you’ve also deleted 90% of those apps – who comes up with these things?
9. You legitimately have fears of posting to the wrong account. And at some point, you have.
10. You don’t even check your Twitter DMs anymore. They’re all auto-generated crap anyways.
11. Your primary news source is Facebook, Google+ and Twitter. If it’s not there, it must not be important.
12. You know when it’s National Love Your Pet Day, National Ice Cream Day, and Bike to Work Day. And about 362 other weird holidays.
13. You stop all work when software and social media platform announcements are made. I mean, obviously, this could be the next BIG thing… until tomorrow at least.
14. You get excited about new platform layouts. And spend hours reformatting everything to fit.
15. You have a contingency plan for every “bad” thing that could happen. Even grammatical mistakes.
16. You are totally justified in complaining about other companies when they disappoint you on ALL of your social media sites. But hopefully you give praise too
17. You consciously evaluate how every other company uses social media and how they promote it. And if it’s a good idea, you’ll totally find a way to implement it on your accounts.
18. Unlike the rest of the world, you realize it’s nearly impossible to make something go “viral”. Or you convince your boss/client that 1000 views is viral just to get them to stop asking.
19, You actually talk with hashtags. Even though it drives you crazy.
20. You have a power cord for your smartphone in every possible location. Including the bathroom and the car.
21. The word “engagement” in your vocabulary has nothing to do with weddings. Oh, your friend really is getting married?
22. You start dropping the vowels (or at least the “e”) from all names. Thank you Tumblr, Gramblr, Pixlr, Flickr…
23. Your spell check just doesn’t get you. How many times do you have to remind it to ignore “Instagram” or “sharability”?
24. People’s eyes glaze over when you try to explain what you really do. We tend to forget they don’t speak our “language” of acronyms and weird names.
25. Yes, of course I get paid to play on Facebook all day! Need I say anything else?
But even with all the headaches and craziness, we wouldn’t trade it in! We live in our own little universe, speak our own language, and totally get each other!
But what say you? What other signs can you think of that prove we work in social media?